Atlanta Child Support Modification Attorney

child support modification attorney

Can my child support payments be modified?

Child support awards can be increased or decreased by showing a change in the income and financial status of either parent or in the needs of the children. For example, if the noncustodial parent receives an increase in salary or the needs of the children dramatically increase, then it may be appropriate to increase the amount of child support. Likewise, if the noncustodial parent suffers a reduction in earnings or one of the children graduates high school, it may be appropriate to decrease the amount of child support.

Once an order for child support is first issued, child support can be modified at any time thereafter. However, once a party receives an order of modification of child support, that party cannot file another modification for two years, from the date of such order, except due to an involuntary loss of income or a greater (or lesser) amount of visitation being exercised by the noncustodial parent than what is provided in the court order.

How Can I Determine the Income of the Other Parent?

In order to determine the income of the parties and/or the needs of the children, lawyers utilize the “discovery process” permitted under the Georgia Civil Practice Act. Contrary to what may be portrayed on television, a trained domestic attorney does not normally ask a question in court to which he does not already know the answer. The gathering of such pertinent information is accomplished through this process called “discovery.” This can involve such things as written interrogatories or questions to the other party (which must be answered by that party under oath), the production of financial records from the other party, or from the other party’s employer, bank, or accountant (e.g., tax returns, business or corporate records, expense accounts), the taking of depositions before a court reporter, as well as other available methods of fact investigation. Each case is unique and must be handled depending upon the individual needs of the client.

For more information on child support, please see our child support page located here.

Contact an Experienced Atlanta Child Support Attorney

If you are seeking or opposing a child support modification action, give me a call today to see if I can help you achieve your goals. I have successfully argued child support modification cases on both sides of the issue and am standing by to advise you regarding your rights and options. You can reach my office by phone at (404) 618-0863 or by filling out the simple inquiry form located here.

I offer a free case evaluation by telephone (with me, not with a staff member) to all individuals. Office consultations are also available by appointment weekdays from 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., with weekend appointments available by request.

My office advocates for families and individuals throughout the Atlanta metropolitan area, including Fulton, Gwinnett, Bartow, Carroll, Cherokee, Clayton, Cobb, Coweta, DeKalb, Douglas, Fayette, Forsyth, Hall, Henry, Paulding, and Rockdale counties.